Izakaya Hunting in Singapore: My Search for the Perfect Japanese Night Out
Izakayas are often described as Japanese pubs, but that does not really explain why I enjoy them.
It is the whole experience.
You might start with a simple drink and a small plate, then move on to sashimi, grilled skewers, fried dishes, something cooked over charcoal and maybe a bowl of rice or noodles at the end.
There is no need to rush through the meal.
An izakaya dinner is more about the journey than one main course.
That is also why I think a good izakaya menu should have plenty of variety. If everything on the menu is grilled, I might get bored. If there are sashimi, skewers, hot dishes, fried bites and little sides to choose from, suddenly I want to try everything.
First Stop: Something Small to Start
I always find the beginning of an izakaya meal the most dangerous.
You tell yourself you will order just one or two small dishes.
Then you see something that sounds good.
Then another.
Then someone mentions edamame, tamagoyaki or a plate of sashimi.
Suddenly, the table is full.
But that is exactly how it should be.
Small plates are what make izakaya dining so enjoyable because you can try different flavours without committing to one giant dish.
The best izakaya menus make me want to order more than I can reasonably finish.
Yakitori Is a Serious Part of the Search
No izakaya hunt would be complete without yakitori.
There is something very satisfying about watching skewers being grilled and served one after another. Chicken thigh, chicken skin, tsukune, liver, negima and vegetables can all have completely different textures and flavours depending on how they are prepared.
For me, good yakitori is not about piling on complicated sauces.
It is about the grill.
A little char, smoky aromas and properly cooked meat can be enough.
And when a restaurant offers different cuts, I immediately become more interested. One skewer might be familiar, while the next one is something I have never ordered before.
That is part of the fun of an izakaya.
Then There Is Sashimi
Of course, I could not go looking for Japanese food without checking the sashimi.
Izakayas are interesting because they can sit somewhere between a sushi restaurant and a Japanese pub. You might have beautifully presented sashimi alongside something as casual as fried chicken or grilled skewers.
That contrast is what I like.
You do not have to choose between refined and casual.
A good sashimi platter can start the meal on a lighter note before the heavier grilled and fried dishes arrive.
And for anyone who already loves sushi, an izakaya can be a nice way to experience Japanese seafood without sitting down for a full sushi or omakase meal. If you are in the mood for something more focused on sushi, I also recently compared Sushi Kyuu and Sushi Katori, two very different omakase experiences in Singapore.
I Always Look for the Hot Dishes
This is where an izakaya menu can get really interesting.
Grilled fish, fried chicken, tofu, omelettes, simmered dishes and seasonal specials can all appear depending on the restaurant.
These are the dishes that make me slow down and actually read the menu.
I might go in thinking I want yakitori, then spot a grilled fish that sounds much better.
Or maybe there is a Japanese-style omelette covered in a savoury sauce.
Or something simmered slowly that sounds perfect with a cold drink.
The best izakaya meals usually involve at least one unexpected order.
The Search for the Right Atmosphere
Food can be excellent, but atmosphere can completely change an izakaya experience.
I like places that feel lively without becoming overwhelming.
Wooden counters, open kitchens, small tables, warm lighting and the sound of dishes moving around the room can make a huge difference.
There is something particularly nice about sitting at a counter and watching the kitchen work.
You can see the skewers being grilled, hear orders being called out and watch dishes leave the kitchen one after another.
It makes dinner feel less like a formal restaurant experience and more like being part of the evening.
A Good Izakaya Needs a Good Drinks Menu
Of course, we cannot talk about izakayas without talking about drinks.
Beer is an obvious choice, but sake, shochu, highballs and other Japanese drinks can completely change the mood of the meal.
I am also a fan of the simple pairing.
A cold drink with yakitori.
Sake with sashimi.
Something refreshing with fried dishes.
There is no need to overthink it.
Izakaya food is made for drinking and sharing, which is probably why the two work so naturally together.
The Places That Stay in My Mind
After looking through so many izakaya menus, I have started to realise that the restaurants I remember are not necessarily the ones with the longest menus.
They are the ones with personality.
Maybe there is a particular dish that keeps me thinking about it.
Maybe the counter has a great atmosphere.
Maybe the chef has a signature grilled item.
Or maybe it is simply the kind of place where I can imagine sitting down after a long day and forgetting about everything else for a couple of hours.
That, to me, is what makes an izakaya worth returning to.
What I Would Order on an Izakaya Night
If I walked into an izakaya without a plan, my order would probably start something like this:
Something light: Sashimi
Something grilled: Yakitori
Something crispy: Karaage or another fried dish
Something warm: Tamagoyaki or a seasonal cooked dish
Something to share: Grilled fish or a larger special
Something at the end: Rice or noodles
And then, of course, I would probably look at the menu again and add one more thing.
Because that always seems to happen.
So, What Is the Best Izakaya in Singapore?
I do not think there is one perfect answer.
The best izakaya depends on what kind of night you are looking for.
Sometimes I want somewhere casual where I can eat yakitori and have a drink.
Sometimes I want better seafood and a more refined menu.
Sometimes I just want a small neighbourhood-style place where nobody is rushing me out of the door.
That is why the search is actually more fun than simply naming one winner.
The best izakaya is the one that makes you want to come back.
And Singapore has enough Japanese izakayas to keep that search going for quite a while.
Final Thoughts
Izakaya dining is one of my favourite sides of Japanese food because there is so much freedom in it.
You can eat a little.
You can eat a lot.
You can order only skewers or completely lose control and fill the table with small plates.
There is no fixed way to do it.
For me, the perfect izakaya night would have good yakitori, fresh sashimi, a few dishes I did not expect to order, something cold to drink and an atmosphere that makes me forget to check the time.
That is the kind of izakaya I am still searching for.
And honestly, I am quite happy to keep looking.
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment